Ryazantsev S. V., Sivopljasova S. Yu. Matrimonial behavior of women from Central Asian countries, pp. 136-149

The results of a study of the features of matrimonial behavior of migrant women from Central Asian countries are presented in this article. The conclusions are based on the analysis of statistical data on the number of marriages between citizens of different States in the Russian marriage market. Marriage in the migration process is a widespread phenomenon. In some countries, the proportion of marriages with foreigners reaches 30—40 % of the total number of marriages. In Russia, the share of marriages complicated by a foreign component is 6,5 %.
Of these, the largest number of marriages were concluded by citizens of Ukraine. The countries of Central Asia — Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, and Kyrgyzstan — occupy the second,
fourth, sixth, and ninth positions in the list, respectively. Citizens of Turkmenistan are much less active in getting married in Russia. In our country, number of marriages with foreign men
is significantly higher than foreign women. However, this ratio is not met among citizens of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan: more marriages are performed by women than men. The total
marriage rates among migrants were calculated to determine the intensity of marriage by foreigners from Central Asian countries. The highest value of the total marriage rate of migrants is
observed among citizens of Tajikistan, the lowest is among citizens of Turkmenistan. At the same time, the total marriage rate among women from Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan exceeds that of men. It is meaning that women from these countries are more likely to marry in Russia. The vast majority of marriages with a foreign component — 96 % — are between foreigners and Russians. The remaining 4 % of marriages are those in which both the bride and groom are foreign citizens. Citizens of Central Asian countries if they marry someone other than a Russian, choose their compatriot in the vast majority. It should be noted that the practice of marriage in the country of emigration is not limited only to marriage migration. It is not uncommon for people who come to the country for employment, education, or other aims to find life partners and register relationships. However, we should not exclude the widespread adoption of a pragmatic approach to marriage, in which migrants consider to marriage as an opportunity to be legalized in the country of immigration in a simplified manner, faster and easier to obtain citizenship. Therefore, the development and implementation of state regulation measures in this area is particularly relevant.
read in PDF>>>